Selling or Subletting a Shared Ownership Property

Guiding you confidently through the process

As a home owner you can sell your Shared Ownership home like any other home. However, there are restrictions on the sale and subletting of these properties. This is to ensure the properties remain available to people in need of affordable housing.

There is a procedure to be followed when selling your Shared Ownership home, which will be set out in your lease.

Selling a Shared Ownership Property

Your lease will explain the procedure to be followed when selling your home. This will include serving notice of your proposed sale on your Housing Association. The Housing Association will then either require that you transfer the lease to a buyer of their choice, or place the property on the open market. In either case, the price will be no more than the current market value of your share in the property. The Housing Association will usually apply a charge for the resale process that is known as a nomination fee.

Subletting a Shared Ownership Property

Whilst you do not own 100% of your home you will be unable to sublet it under the restrictions of your lease. However, once you have staircased to 100% ownership there is usually no restriction on subletting your property. Be sure to check your lease to confirm this.

The Process – Simplified

  1. Serve notice of your proposed Sale to the Housing Association.
  2. Housing Association allocates a buyer or property goes on the open market until a buyer is found.
  3. Memorandum of Sale – sent by Housing Association.
  4. Contract Issued – sent by your conveyancer.
  5. Exchange.
  6. Completion.


Things to Know

  • Restrictions can apply to the resale and sublet of a shared ownership home
  • Shared Ownership homes must be resold to other Shared Ownership buyers or returned to the Housing Association in most cases
  • You are unable to sublet a property you part-own under the Shared Ownership scheme.



The Process in Detail

Selling a Shared Ownership Property


  • You serve notice of your proposed sale to the Housing Association.


  • The Housing Association allocates a purchaser or the property goes on the open market until a buyer is found.


  • You instruct New Homes Law as your conveyancer, by returning our instruction forms, your ID, proof of funds and money on account.
  • The Housing Association (or Estate Agent) issues a Memorandum of Sale to us and the purchaser’s conveyancer.
  • We issue a draft contract to the purchaser’s conveyancer.


  • Enquiries will be raised by the purchaser’s conveyancer.
  • The purchaser must be in receipt of searches and mortgage offer.
  • The purchaser must transfer their deposit monies and need to be in receipt of a mortgage offer approval from the Housing Association’s conveyancer.


  • We will request your authority to exchange contracts.


  • You will give us the authority to exchange contracts.
  • We will exchange contracts with the purchaser’s conveyancer.

You are now legally committed to the sale of your property. Failure to complete your sale would incur additional costs.


  • We will then prepare the file for completion by requesting a redemption statement and an agent invoice/Housing Association completion statement.


  • We will receive the full completion funds from the purchaser’s conveyancer.
  • We will confirm with the purchaser’s conveyancer that the completion funds have been received.

Congratulations, legal completion has taken place; you have now sold your property!


Your questions answered…

Re-sale & Sub-letting

  • How long will the process of selling a shared ownership property take?

    Once your housing association finds a suitable buyer, they have 12 weeks to complete the purchase. Although, if you still need time to find another home, then this process can be made more flexible, depending upon what you and the buyer can agree.

    Your conveyancer and the buyer’s conveyancer will need to decide an exchange and completion date. Your housing provider is not normally involved in agreeing dates, so these are negotiated exclusively between you and the buyer.

  • I want to sell my Shared Ownership home, will the housing association need to be involved?

    If you own less than 100% of your home, then the housing association will be responsible for finding a buyer for your home. Generally, your housing association will have a “nomination period” of 8 weeks from the date they received the signed contract of sale to nominate prospective buyers.

  • I don’t own 100% of my home; can I still sell?

    You can still sell your shares if you do not own 100% of your shared ownership property.

What our customers say

  • As a first-time buyer I'd had no experience before; I didn't know the difference between solicitors and conveyancers. But dealing with New Homes Law was easy, convenient and seamless.
  • The level of communication from New Homes Law was by far the best I've ever had with any company I've worked with. They were professional and transparent about everything.
  • I would definitely recommend New Homes Law. They were all approachable and friendly, and I was comfortable they would be able to deal with my transaction well.

New Build


Find out more

Help to Buy


Find out more



Find out more